Education, Enthusiasm and Experience!

Our Musical Calendar includes 35 private lessons, 3 Group Lessons and 2 Recitals. We offer a vibrant and dynamic studio to accomodate every learning style and level of learning! Please feel free to email us for more information!

Monday, October 16, 2006

Our First Group Lesson!


We had our first group lesson on Saturday morning. Everyone arrived bright-eyed and ready to learn, right? I was very pleased with everyone's efforts and marvelled at the amazing talents of my students. Well done!

We covered a lot of information in a relatively short time (reviewing both the Baroque and Classical eras and then moving right into the Romantic Era.) I really enjoyed being able to get together with all of my students. Being a pianist can be kind of lonely. You practice alone, you usually play alone . . . and mostly that's ok. However, I believe it is important to remember that as musicians, we are part of a greater community and can enjoy each other's personalities and abilities. For this past Group Lesson, after the teaching time, we broke into three teams. Each team was as unique as the people who were a part of it. They each took turns working through the following 'stations' around my home, completing projects and creative exercises:

1. Quiz/Colouring Station: This was my personal favourite (I'm not sure how many students would agree). For my students older than 7, I provided an open-book quiz and encouraged them to help each other search for answers among their notes. For my younger students, a colouring book was ready to receive 'life' :0) (And for the older students who wanted to take a Colouring Book home, that was ok too . . . right Laura? :0) Don't forget, by the way, quizzes that were not completed during the Group Lesson need to be finished and brought to your next lesson for marking . . . and then they will be sent back home for your parents to initial.

2. Listening Station: I chose 3 compositions from each of the eras we had studied and asked the teams to identify composer, era and important characteristics of each of the pieces. I was delighted to see the teams fully engaged in this task. My two youngest students (5 and 6) were especially fun to watch as they got themselves comfortable on my couch, closed their eyes, and "took it all in".

3. Technique Station: ah, what would a lesson be without technique? In the piano room, students were asked to come up with three technique exercises of their own - complete with a title and description of the skill they hoped to develop by using this exercise. My ownly advise, "Never underestimate the powerful observation skills of a young child." Each team had a beginner, intermediate and advanced student. It was the younger students who are receiving the most focused direction on technique and were invaluable to the creation of these exercises.

4. Creative Exercise: At the island, in the kitchen, students were asked to come up with a drawing, story or journal of one of the composers we have studied. Interestingly, many students chose the "pointillistic" technique of Claude Monet to create some lovely pictures.

We were treated to an original composition by Matthew. His piece fit very well with our Romantic Era theme (no key signature, repeated notes in the left hand, BRAVURA style :0) I was pleased to see the younger students quite enthralled with the idea of creating their own compositions. Thank you for sharing your talent with us, Matthew.

I must also mention a highlight of the morning. Master Jacob, my 5 year old student, came up with the answer to the first question of the day: "Name an important composer of the Baroque Era . . . anyone? . . . anyone? . . . ." And out came the reply, "Johann Sebastian Bach!" WELL DONE, JACOB!

I look forward to seeing you all at your lessons! Have a great week! :0)

No comments: