Education, Enthusiasm and Experience!

Our Musical Calendar includes 35 private lessons, 3 Group Lessons and 2 Recitals. We offer a vibrant and dynamic studio to accomodate every learning style and level of learning! Please feel free to email us for more information!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thinking about music ...



On the way home from dropping the kids at school this morning, I was listening to the CBC (as I usually do). There was a wonderful array of musical offerings - Beethoven ("not 'grumpy' Beethoven", the announcer said, "but Uncle Lood-vig"). There was also Schubert and Vivaldi. I was trying to think of a way to express how the music made me feel. The sense of satisfaction I get from fully emmersing myself into the metaphysical world of sound represented in tones, rhythm and dynamics ... all I could think of was "it's like tasting a wonderful dish - really savouring the flavour of a good meal." It brought to mind one of my favourite performers - ANDRE RIEU ... listening to him is a sweet moment of musical bliss - WATCHING him draw his audience into a place of sheer enjoyment with his music reminds us of what the gift of music is really for.


Last night, I had the privilege of attending one of my student's Finale Concert (for her junior high band). It was held at the University in a beautiful facility. The school even set out some wonderful works of art created by the students. It was a cultural affair and I enjoyed it thoroughly! I wonder if they know how they blessed their audience with such fine musical and artistic talent? Even more, I wonder if they know how they really sounded?


There were a few minor flaws in notation, rhythm, dynamics and tempo. Yet, as I listened AND watched, I began to notice that their concentrated gazes, tapping toes and swaying bodies reflected an intimacy with their music that, without doubt, reached out to their audience and touched our hearts, minds AND ears in a way that was beyond the sounds they were creating. These fine young people shared their passion with us and in effect created a bond among our little group of anxious spectators that drew us into a place of oneness in the most joy-filled way. And all this in junior high!


Life can reflect this same shared passion. I could have chosen to merely sit and observe the concert last night (as some of the parents did ... even to the point of nodding off occassionally :0) But, that is not why I wanted to be there. I don't want to be an "observer" ... I want to consistently choose to PARTICIPATE in the processes, trials and elations of life - and not just my own! Last night, I allowed myself to receive the gifts that were being offered to me, with thankfulness - music, enthusiasm, hopefulness, anticipation, excitement, sentiment, expression and sincerity. As I sat in my cramped little chair among the rows and rows of people, tapping my toes, patting my knee and nodding my head in response to what I was receiving, I began to understand that the best part of all was the SHARED EXPERIENCE among a group of idealistic people (in the BEST way :0). These budding musicians were making the most of a great opportunity and ENJOYING IT!!! Hard work AND fun! What a concept!


And at the head of these smiling faces, waving his baton with gusto, was a man who's obvious love for music and pedagogy flowed out of him and into the precious lives of the children with exuberant, yet confident flair - the kind of confidence that can only come when you know that you are exactly where you want to be, doing exactly what you want to be doing, with all your heart - and the students RESPONDED to his encouragement and enthusiasm with a like-minded, passionate creativity.If I had gone to this performance hoping to hear all the right notes and receive an authentic performance of Pachelbel, Bach, or some other musicologist's view of traditional interpretation, I might have been a little disappointed. And I would have missed the point completely ...


Life's like that too.


"Even as a child, I was fascinated by the world of music. My father was a conductor, and I remember the huge orchestra and the wonderful sound it made, all those bows moving together – I thought it was fantastic. But even then I can remember being surprised at the sombre atmosphere during the concerts. Everybody looked so serious, you weren't supposed to cough or laugh, even though the music seemed to me to radiate so much joy! You know that solemn atmosphere you find in the concert hall with classical music, and how it intimidates most people and keeps them away? With us, it is simply not there.


My orchestra consists of young, enthusiastic musicians, who put their heart and soul into the music every evening when they play in our concerts. At one of our concerts you'll see me and the orchestra, and the audience too, all having a lot of fun together. Swaying with the music, humming along, clapping, jumping up and down - it all happens! Every evening is a wonderful experience, and in my view there couldn't be a greater pleasure for a musician.


When I was studying the violin at the music academy, somebody asked me to play in a salon orchestra. It was there that I played the waltz 'Gold und Silber' by Frantz Léhàr for the first time. What a revelation it was! I was immediately spellbound by that beat which, years later, has almost become the rhythm of my life: three-four time, the rhythm of the waltz. But with my own orchestra, I play a lot more than waltzes these days.


My dream is to make the whole of classical music accessible for everyone. To achieve that, I've had my own recording studio built, and we're working hard to make new recordings of the classical repertoire.


I hope I may be given many more years to make people happy with my music!" Andre Rieu

No comments: